Thursday, April 30, 2009

Papel I!

Passage V: Outline- The Voice by Thomas Hardy

I. Introduction
a) Most of us have gone through a period where we have experienced the feeling of lost love after a heart break. In Thomas Hardy’s The Voice, Hardy demonstrates how he feels through this experience. He creates the use of diction and tone to create a sense of longing and desire for the woman he loved and the woman that once loved him.

II. Body
a) Throughout the passage, Hardy’s tone is very longing for this woman. He reminisces about her and the times they shared, “Standing as when I drew near to the townWhere you would wait for me: yes, as I knew you then,Even to the original air-blue gown!” He even remembers the blue gown she once wore.

b) The Voice title is very significant because it adds to the reminiscent and longing effect of the passage.

c) His diction is also seen with the questions included in the passage, showing how he is still longing and confused about the state he’s in, questioning the situation. “Can it be you that I hear?” These questions create a “really? Could it be?” type of feeling on the reader.

III. Conclusion

a) Throughout this passage, Hardy creates a scene of longing and desire for the person he loved and gives a reader a glimpse of his heartbreak. Although he is still in denial and hopes for her return, or hearing her “voice”, I believe that deep inside he does know she won’t come back and that’s it’s only a voice, “Thus I; faltering forward, Leaves around me falling, Wind oozing thin through the thorn from norward, And the woman calling.”

No comments: